Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The LUBITEL 166u and The Case of the Sticky Shutter

Lubitel 166U лomo camera

It is painful joy testing a newly acquired vintage camera to discover that its quirky goodness is tainted by a mechanical defect. Such is the case with "new to me" 1980s model Lubitel 166u 6x6 Lomo camera.

I “got it” on e-bay for a very reasonable $35.us only to discover that the shutter “sticks” at 1/30th second (and below). Bummer...since it was advertised as “shutter works all speeds.”

The Lubitel 166U was made by Lomo in Leningrad (now St. Petersburg), Russia. I suspect that the model I own was made sometime in the 1980s. Lens says Made in the USSR.

It's plastic, lightweight and almost impossible to focus. I repeat…Impossible to Focus. So, I guessed the focal distance and used the top viewfinder to compose my shots only. Once I got past the focus issue, it was smooth sailing.

I’m pleased with the shots. Damn that sticky shutter though! (Trying to return to the e-bay seller…will keep you posted).

Rudy's Bar & Grill
Rudy's Bar & Grill
"A New York City Landmark. Cheap Booze & Free Hot Dogs!" so says a newspaper review taped to the window.

Two Boots Pizza - Hell's Kitchen
Two Boots Pizza - Hell's Kitchen
New York's famous (and delicious) Two Boots Pizza recently opened a store on 9th Avenue in Hell's Kitchen (NYC). Unknown man maniacally grins as he looks in.

Coffee Break!
Coffee Break!
That sticky shutter at 1/30thsec (and flash) delivered this COFFEE nightmare!
Pictured: Jeff Faoro at my Pop Cinema Studio

All images © 2010 Michael L. Raso

Lubitel 166u image
shot using Rolleicord III camera
Kodak Portra 100 Tungsten 120 film
(film expired 10/2001 – cold stored).

All additional shots using the Lubitel 166 Universal camera with Kodak Portra 400nc 120 film
(film expired 6/2006 – cold stored).

I host the Film Photography Internet Radio Show
With pals Duane Polcou and John Fedele
www.filmphotographypodcast.com/

Film Photography Podcast Flickr Group
www.flickr.com/groups/filmphotographypodcast/

e-mail me at MichaelRaso@ymail.com

2 comments:

  1. I've been eying this camera at the Lomography shop! But their pricing is quite a deterrent, and Ebay is always such a hit or miss. Hope the seller replaces your cam.
    The colors are incredibly vibrant- I should get my hands on that film!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easily Increase Your ClickBank Traffic And Commissions

    Bannerizer makes it easy for you to promote ClickBank products by banners, simply go to Bannerizer, and grab the banner codes for your selected ClickBank products or use the Universal ClickBank Banner Rotator to promote all of the available ClickBank products.

    ReplyDelete