Saturday, May 8, 2010

Ladies and Gentlemen, The Ansco B2 Speedex Junior

Ansco B2 Speedex Junior

I purchased this beautiful vintage Ansco camera for $0.99us on e-bay. It’s fast becoming one of my favorite 120 cameras. Not a great deal of information on the web but I was able to find the following:

- Made in (or around) 1945 in the US
- Uses 120 film
- 1/30th sec shutter
- f-stops 11 through32
- Has "time" mode for long exposures
- Camera boasts a "deep" area to load the film - meaning that a 35mm canister fits perfectly should you want to shoot 35mm "sprocket" photography

Strangely enough, I shot the image above of the Ansco B2 Speedex Junior with 31 year old Kodak Ektachrome film using my Canon FP camera and 50mm FL lens. I purchased the film on e-bay. Seller claimed frozen since 1978! I've mentioned it many times and I'll say it again...storage is the KEY in film. I've purchased expired film from 2006 and have had miserable results. Storage is the key.

Here are a few images I took in the last few weeks using the Ansco B2 Speedex Junior

Ansco B2 Speedex Junior / Butler, NJ USA
Stream off of Hamburg Turnpike, Butler, NJ USA 4/21/2010 - Kodak Ektachrome E100sw (film expired 7/2004)

Ansco B2 Speedex Junior / Butler, NJ USA
One of the many buildings in the Butler Center industrial complex. Home of my studio and The Film Photography Podcast 4/21/2010 - Kodak Ektachrome E100sw (film expired 7/2004)

Ansco B2 Speedex Junior / Electric Tape Needed
The Ansco B2 Speedex Jr loaded with 35mm Kodachrome 64. Oops, I forgot to tape the red window on the back of the camera (when using 35mm film)

By using 35mm film in the Asco 120 film camera, you will be able to shoot your image on the entire piece of film. This is also known as “Sprocket Photography” or “Sprocket Revolution.” Fun stuff.

Ansco B2 Speedex Junior / Flip Side Records
Flip Side Records in Pompton Lakes, NJ USA
A real joy to have an indie vinyl shop near by. Flip Side has been around since the 1980s. One peek inside and you’d think it was still 1984!


Ansco B2 Speedex Junior / Vinyl Shopping

Ansco B2 Speedex Junior / Vinyl Shopping
William Hellfire and Erin Russ record shopping at Flip Side Records. Open shutter and hand-held flash created the “trippy” effect.

Ansco B2 Speedex Junior / Thrifting
Spontaneous laughter from Erin Russ when I took out the Ansco B2 Speedex Junior folding camera and snapped a quick picture.

Ansco B2 Speedex Junior / Time Exposure
I used the “T” time fuction to keep the shutter open about 30 seconds. Shot of me sitting in my studio.

What can I say…I love The Ansco B2 Speedex Junior!

Ansco links
http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Ansco

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansco

http://www.jollinger.com/photo/cam-coll/histories/history-ansco.html

Sprocket Hole Photography!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprocket_hole_photography

The Film Photography Internet Radio Show
http://www.filmphotographypodcast.com/

My Film Photography Flickr Page
http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelraso/

Images © 2010 Michael Raso

3 comments:

  1. Awesome camera. 120 Folders are VERY under-rated. I've got an Agfa Isolette II, and although it has no light meter, it produces excellent 6x6 negatives when I'm careful enough to slow down, focus, set exposure and frame everything correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I just bought the same camera recently. I am wondering how to load the 120 film. I didn't buy the ansco film. Instead I brought lomography black and white film. Is the Ansco film paper-like? Do you know how the film catches in order to take pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    Please send me a note at MichaelRaso@ymail.com

    I can give you some detailed answers via e-mail. Please mention my May 8 blog in the header so I remember you!

    Best,
    Michael Raso
    MichaelRaso@ymail.com

    ReplyDelete