Friday, April 9, 2010

Death meets Kodachrome

Last fall Erin Russ asked me to shoot photos of her for the Spring 2010 issues of “Girls and Corpses” magazine.

Erin Russ - Fall '09

Girls and Corpses magazine - Issue 10

After my ear-to-ear grin subsided, I said a hearty “yes.” I love a photo challenge and I looked forward to picking and packing my favorite vintage camera gear for this sinister assignment. Another Grinch-like smirk appeared on my face, knowing that I’d shoot this project on the defunct Kodak Kodachrome film stock.

Kodachrome 64

Erin Russ - Graveyard Lolita

Invented in 1935 and discontinued in 2009, Kodachrome film is unlike any other film on the planet. The image shot on this amazing stock creates an image with “ridges.” Color is systematically added in the processing - producing an amazing color (known for its brilliantly warm skin tones).

Spooky Face

The film is also amazingly archival. Surviving Kodachrome slides from the 1930s remain as vividly brilliant as the day they were shot. Simply amazing.

Erin Russ - Kodachrome Tomb

Kodachrome is gone but I have a special stash hidden away for special projects this year. On December 31, 2010 the last processing batch will occur.

Erin Russ - Fall 2009

Eight more months of Kodachrome joy.

Images © 2010 Michael Raso

Gear used:
Canon AE-1 Program
Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 S.S.C. Lens
Canon FD 24mm f/2.8 Lens
Kodachrome 64 film
Epson V700 scanner

Thanks to Erin Russ and William Hellfire for thinking of me for this fun project.

Girls and Corpses Magazine - Issue 10, Spring 2010 (featuring Erin Russ)
http://www.girlsandcorpses.com

Film Photography Internet Radio
Hosted by "Yours Truly" and Duane Polcou
http://filmphotographypodcast.com/

3 comments:

  1. Awesome shots! After starting to scan some of my father's 50+ year old Kodachrome slides, I'm a little sad that I will probably never get the chance to shoot on this amazing film. The colours are still amazing, and the images are so sharp (the ones that haven't been damaged). It blows my mind that 50 years ago there was this technology to produce these amazing images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This photographic series is amazing. Very good use of film and great skin tones I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shoot reveals the target's clear characteristic. I love it!

    ReplyDelete